Well, the busy only get busier. I have had a really great September for the most part with having the chance to become an intern at Humble Tv and work as a Teaching Assistant at the New York Film Academy. Both have been very good to me, but unfortunately I am saying good bye to interning at Humble and the NYFA job will be ending soon. So back to finding that job that will pay the bills! Starting next week I will be starting a new internship at Click3x here in NYC. This is a great opportunity for me and hope that I can really improve some of my skills in 3D, since they seem to always have something going on that I can probably get myself into. I am hoping with this internship that this could lead to a freelance gig either there or lead into showing my abilities to make it out on my own finally. October looks pretty busy already and it hasn’t even started just yet! I am steadily building a new website that will serve as a better method to showing off my work. Doing this and of course spending countless hours reading, watching, listening to tutorials from all over and doing small projects to keep my skills sharp and obtaining new ones.
I came across a tutorial on CG tutsplus website with this set up of a few area lights, and a sphere. The area lights were not anti-aliased when using Vray… at least not without knowing to check a few boxes off when using it in Maya. That was the basis of the tutorial which was great! But then…
I wanted to see if this phenomenon occurred with Mental Ray as well when using Maya. I experimented for a little while and did not have that issue what so ever. I did finally find that if I lowered my sampling rate down to 0 or 1 instead of 2 then the area lights started to begin to look like the vray renders.
I decided to take some time in all the free time I had at work to create something wacky in Maya. I wanted to see how light was effected and how it looked when passing through several layers of geometry. The geometry was mostly reflective, and semi transparent. I started with a cube and extruded the faces out and set up a light behind it. I messed around with some Mental Ray stuff and came up with this.